Our church history books date back to 1952; the beginning of our church.
Please feel free to come and browse the stacks and look at any of the books when you have a chance. The books are in order by calendar year. Each book includes: bulletins, sermon notes, pictures, flyers about the activities for the month, and the monthly calendar.
Brief History: Our Beginning
When Rev. Hubert M. Thomas his wife Gwendolyn and two daughters, Gloria and Phyllis, came into the small but fast growing town of
During the last week of August and the first week of September, 1952, a religious census was taken to ascertain the religious status of the community. A number of people, representing a number of different denominations had also taken such a census prior to this time but no one went further in their efforts.
Rev. Hubert Thomas and his family began to invite people in the community to come to the DeBary Manson. On September 14, 1952 the first
On Palm Sunday, March 29, 1953, the group was organized into a church congregation called the DeBary Baptist Chapel. At that time the thinking was that the church would be a community church. However on April 18, 1953 the congregation had its first business meeting and Rev. Thomas agreed to be the Pastor.
The church (then known as the DeBary Chapel) was built on land donated by George Stedronsky of
It was announced that the Seminole Baptist Association, along with the First Baptist Church of DeLand would sponsor the church. Thus the church became a
After becoming a Mission church in early 1953 services continued to be held regularly in private homes and in the DeBary Civic Building, but the desire for their own church building became more and more pronounced, and at a regular meeting of the church held January 7, 1954 it was agreed by motion that a goal of $7,500 by Easter for building fund be set. Good progress was made toward the building project and on October 23, 1955 the congregation of the DeBary Chapel moved into its own building. On that date some 400 members and friends attended two dedication services.
The church records show that the book for charter members was closed in February, the fellowship numbering thirty four (34) are recorded as charter members.
On January 1, 1957 the church, became known as, the First Baptist Church of DeBary and became a self supporting church.
We were the First Church in DeBary (DeBary was only 2 years old)
First called: DeBary Baptist Chapel
First meeting: September 14, 1952 - in the
First Hymn sung: "My Faith Looks up to Thee"
First Sermon: "The Beginnings"
First reading from the Bible: John 1:1-12; Genesis1:18
First Sunday school: October 12, 1952
First Sunday school sessions had eight children
First Baptism: at
First Service: 22 people were present
First 6 weeks: The average attendance was 25
June 22, 2003 - current Pastor; Pastor Chris Rottenberger and Sherry Dale Rottenberger
October 10, 2001 - December 29, 2002; Pastor Mike Wicker and Kelly Wicker
2001- October 2001 - Harold Mullins served as Interim Pastor
October 4, 1987 - 2001; Pastor Larry Weiss and Cees Weiss
1974 - August 16, 1987; Dr. Gordon L. Beck and Evelyn Beck
January 11, 1966 - December 7, 1973; Pastor William E. Bennett and Ruth Bennett
September 14, 1952 - September 18, 1965; Pastor Hubert M. Thomas and Gwendolyn Thomas
Harold Mullins served as Interim Pastor from 2001 - October 2001
Our Church started as a Mission Church of the FBC of DeLand.
Here are some postcard views of their church
Florida Baptist Historical Society Newsletters
Coloring book for the Children